Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

2011-2012 School Class

I am so behind on blogging, that I have already started teaching my new school class, without writing a post about this past year's class! And I must take a few minutes to say some of my favorite memories. :)
What a darling class! From the first day, they were so kind and such great listeners! Throughout the year, this class proved to be sweet!!! One girl brought me flower arrangements in vases (her grandma taught her this skill) almost monthly. The boys and girls in the class-- THE BOYS TOO, and this is 8-9 years old-- loved to give hugs every day as they left school! I thought the hugs would die off the first week, but they continued to show their love and appreciation in this and other ways! I got sweet and thoughtful cards throughout the year, which I have saved and will treasure!
I'll always remember the thoughtful surprise wedding shower the room moms planned before we went off track and before I got married in the fall of 2011. Many of them came all dressed-up to the reception, along with students from the past several years, and made the special trip to celebrate with us!
Then, at Christmas, the students gave such thoughtful gifts. I even had a girl give me a gift she worked hours and hours on-- an illustrated book of the poem "The Night Before Christmas." When we had a few extra minutes that Friday before the winter break, the students begged me to go caroling to everyone in the school-- and we did!
I appreciate the many ways the students stretched themselves and worked hard to prove to even themselves that they could do hard things! Each week, more and more children were understanding more and more difficult concepts. There was such a support from parents to make this possible. When I returned in the spring, still recovering from foot tumor surgery, the students weren't sure what to make of having their teacher in a wheelchair. But boy, did they adjust, and WOW, did they jump in to help out! I'll never give enough thanks to my wonderful student who begged to push me EVERY time we went in the hall, and push me fast all over the playground, helping me enjoy that wonderful fresh air, and the feeling I was running outside!
We had an AWESOME last month of school this year, down to the very last day of school! We did yearbook signing, watched the class slide show, ate chips & salsa, dipped fruit & graham crackers in chocolate fondu, finished making sock puppets, read one last book together, shared favorite memories, played indoor beach ball volleyball & "do you know your neighbor," and had a BIG group hug!
I was amazed at the thoughtful cards-- I LOVE CARDS!-- that the parents and the students took time to write. I will never forget the things they said that assured me these students had a good, growing year. As I talked with a few parents and they shared just how much this year had meant to their children and that I was teaching them things about having a good attitude through difficulties, I was brought to tears. I write this to remember: we never know when our influence is making a difference in the life of children! I was sad to say goodbye to a few teary children, especially one sweet boy in particular! What a great year. It reminds me of the phrase from Elder Packer's "Teach Ye Diligently" book: "When you have a place in the heart of your students, remember you are walking on sacred ground."

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hooray for updates! I'm glad you had fun with that special class. They were sure amazing and supportive of your crazy year! And what a fun trip to San Diego!