Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Radiation Is Complete!

Left Ear
 Well, today was the day-- LAST DAY OF RADIATION TREATMENT!  WOOT WOOT! I woke up feeling so excited, (after a good restful sleep until 10), and went to read and exercise.  I snapped a few pictures to show the hair loss I've received over the last six weeks.  If you didn't see or know me before, you may not notice much loss, because it's all around the ears-- like my hairline just doesn't come that low.  And when my hair is down, it's covered, no problem and no noticing!  This skin area has been a little sensitive, but not bad at all!  They said it would feel like a sunburn and it's just been a bit tingly.  And... my hair will grow back.  No complaints here!
Right Ear

 The moment we arrived at the doctor's office, we sat together, soooo excited!  Mom, me, and Tyler showing our joy!!
 Mom and Tyler got some of the treatment and bell-ringing I did after my last treatment on video, but I'll have to load that another time. It was so fun to ring that bell THIRTY times! One for each treatment. :)
 The staff was all so excited and fun to celebrate with!  I wish all the people who have helped me were here in this picture, but here are a few wonderful assistants who lifted me up and cheered me on throughout the 30 treatments!
 We did it!!
 Yep, they let me keep the mask! Lots of ideas for what to do with it...
Let a young child jump on it (I hear it can withstand that), use it as a colander, run over it (don't think I'll try that one), use it as a chia pet, a Halloween costume...any other ideas?  
I think I'll just keep it around to remember this time, and have a cool show-and-tell for the class! :)
 After we cheered, rang the bell, gave hugs, and took pictures, Tyler went to work, and Mom and I went shopping and got a little lunch!  when I got home later in the afternoon, look what I found on my garage!!!! For PRECIOUS! It made me cry.  I have the best siblings, parents, husband, family, friends in the world. They have given such love and encouragement!


 And when Tyler came home, he had his own surprise for me! What a sweetheart!  I love the owl balloon, pink Star Gazer flowers, and frozen yogurt!
 And tonight he took a long-needed nap, it was good to see!  He changed his schedule to get up an HOUR earlier EVERY DAY so he could be there at EVERY SINGLE TREATMENT!  
He deserves a big hand, and husband-of-the-century award.  I'm so glad he was there, waiting right outside the door, through each and treatment!
 YEAH!!!!
 And after delivering VT/HT stuff, this is what he chose to do when we got home...finish the school fixing project! What a guy. :)  

I would just like to bear my testimony of the power of the Atonement.  I know that by focusing on the Savior through our trials, our burdens are truly lightened.  On days where I was exhausted and thought upon Him, learned about Him in the scriptures, or pondered His sacrifice for me, I came to understand a little more--very minutely-- what He went through for us.  There is truly nothing that the Savior had endured that we haven't.  When I was in a lot of pain one night and couldn't sleep, Tyler was sleeping soundly.  I thought about the Savior when he suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane and His disciples were outside the garden sleeping.  How hard that must have been, and how alone He must have felt.  However, I then remembered the angel that was sent to strengthen Him, and I know that Tyler wants to always help me and let him know when I need it.  He is my angel.  I gently tried to wake him up, and when he discovered what pain I was in, he rubbed my feet, legs, and arms, and then gave me a priesthood blessing.  Well, right after that I fell asleep!  I know that by coming unto the Savior and seeking His help, we will never feel alone or that the pain is too great to bear.

We have been reading a lot in the gospels lately, studying about the life of the Savior.  I'm amazed at the love and compassion He shows.  So many have reached out in that Christlike compassion to me, and I'm so thankful for them.  I again have learned to really mourn with those that mourn and lift those that need it.  Not only to "pay it forward" and to follow the examples of these Christlike people, but also because it is my opportunity and will lift me from my own distress.  Emotionally, I have felt down when I have been exhausted, because I love having energy so I can do lots of things I love!  But what lifts me emotionally is taking the time to get outside myself.  The Savior taught this by example throughout His whole life-- always looking outward, even when he was suffering intense emotional and physical pain.

One scripture that Tyler read tonight says it well, from the Book of Mormon, in Alma 31: "wilt thou comfort my soul ain Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these bafflictions.....O Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success,"  and then he prays for others... "Wilt thou grant unto them that they may have strength, that they may abear their afflictions which shall come upon them ...O Lord, their asouls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee.

 36 Now it came to pass that when Alma had said these words, that he aclapped his bhands upon all them who were with him. And behold, as he clapped his hands upon them, they were filled with the Holy Spirit...." 
And then it is summarized so well in the last verse of the chapter:
 38 And the Lord provided for them that they should hunger not, neither should they thirst; yea, and he also gave them strength, that they should suffer no manner of aafflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ. Now this was according to the prayer of Alma; and this because he prayed in bfaith.

I'm feeling very hopeful about the future, and FREE now that radiation is over!  I'm looking forward to moving on with life, and hopefully not having this tumor get in the way again!  I get to teach full time again this year, I want to serve the Lord in any and every way possible, use and develop my talents for good purposes, spend time with loves ones, travel, and just continue the joyous journey of life!  It's a gift!  I'm so grateful for the modern technology and the MODERN MIRACLES that happen today!

How grateful I am that I have my vision.  I can't imagine being blind in BOTH eyes.  I'm so thankful I have the miracle of Tyler in my life, who sees me for the person I am, and tells me my eyes are beautiful!  I used to get that compliment a lot, but since brain surgery people ask, "Is you eye okay?" or "What happened to your eye?"  Their curiosity is understandable, but I'm so thankful that my sweetheart sees that in me and tells me!  The vision may even improve someday-- only time will tell and only the Lord knows.  I hope to be super patient and super grateful always for what I've been blessed with!

When we met with Dr. Hunter yesterday, he even suggested we can see how much it shrinks! Wouldn't that be wonderful!  Tyler and I also asked him about the possibility of pregnancy.  Before, we thought against pregnancy because my tumor would grow.  But now with radiation being done, the Dr. doesn't think there's much of a chance for it to grow, although there still is a possibility.  So now the plan is to get my diabetes under very strict control and get a great A1C to see if I we can have a child!  We would LOVE that great blessing someday!  But if not on our own, we will definitely adopt.  We both love children and would love to grow our little family. :)

I know that trials happen for our good.  No pain is wasted.  There is great hope and joy in the Savior and in His gospel.  I'm so thankful for the resurrection, when our bodies will have no imperfections.  I'm so thankful for trials and for what I'm able to learn through trials.  Going through this has brought Tyler and I and my family all closer together.  Many people are in need, and I'm grateful we can pray for and serve them.  We are the Lord's hands here on earth.  I know that we always have hope because of the Savior. We know His side will win.  I know that the scriptures teach me so much every day, and remind me how to stay on His path.  I love our modern-day prophets and love what President Monson has said, "The Future is As Bright as Your Faith."

Never once did I panic or worry after that blessing I received on June 14th.  I had a tangible assurance that the Lord would be with me, and I had the comfort and courage to face it each day.  I was comforted in knowing this is the right decision at the right time.  And although not fun, I'm glad I was able to experience it and that there are solutions to problems like brain tumors in our day in age.  I know our Savior, Jesus Christ, atoned for each of us and loves us so much.  I know Heavenly Father hears and LISTENS and answers our prayers in the best way for us.  I know He is our Father and loves us infinitely more than we can imagine.  I know that the Lord's true, restored church is on the earth today, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I'm blessed to be part of it.  I love learning about it, and I love the Lord.  He has brought me such miracles in my life, and I look forward to seeing more to come, whether in my life of yours!

7 comments:

Laura said...

Yay for radiation being over! I hope the good news continues to come in and that the tumor is shrinking. I'm so grateful you have Tyler in your life to take care of you and that you ask him for what you need. And I love that owl balloon!! So cute! I love all the ideas of what to do with the mask - too funny.

Thanks for your testimony and sharing this. I love you.

Antoinette said...

Wow! Friend, I did not know you have been walking such a path. I am amazed by your outlook and courage!

Unknown said...

That was beautifully said, Janelle. Sure love you!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gramma Cheryl said...

I am incredibly blessed to be your mother! Your faith and courage inspire me! I loved every word especially your testimony. Sure love you!

Unknown said...

Hey Janelle and Tyler, I have been thinking of you often, although I was not aware that you were going through treatments. I miss not seeing you. Thank You for your examples and time spent in our home. You are both such extremely amazing people with such pure hearts. I cherish the time we were able to get to know you. May the Lord continue to bless you! Love you, Cindy Miller

Amy Miller said...

So glad that this rough trial is over for you! Such a beautiful testimony Janelle. Thank you for sharing it. Love you.